What do Charter Boat captains use on their boats for Tuna?
…only the best
The best Bluefin Tuna fishing reels are the following:
- Shimano Talica
- Shimano Tiagura
- Penn International V – used more often than any other tuna reel
- Tika ST Series
- Avet EXW50 – best value tuna reel
- Fin-Nor Santiago
Tuna Reel Benefits
- Huge Line Capacity – wear out larger fish without loosing them
- Heavy Duty Drag – wears out large fish faster without failure
- Heavy Duty Gears – failure free reeling even with 800 lb large tuna
- Anodized Exterior – corrosion free fishing
- 2 Speed – reel in line faster (high gear) when tension is low or use low gear to muscle the fish in
If you want to take a look at a huge inventory of fishing reels and at very competitve prices, check out….Amazon.com
All of these tuna reels are the best there are for battling 800+ lb Bluefin tuna. They all have super heavy duty construction and gears. Line capacities are extreme, upwards of 1000 yards. IGFA fisherman are using some of these reels today and the reason is…they’re the best money can buy. Don’t go cheap on a Bluefin fishing reel….you will regret it!
Bluefin Tuna are the largest tuna species and can reach 1000+ lbs. If you hook one, it may take 4+ hours to bring it in. The battle is grueling, back braking and endless. Some have given up because his/her body could not stand the punishment.
Shimano Talica Features
- 6 +1 high performance bearings
- 38-41 inches retrieve per handle crank
- Maximum Drag: 20-60 lbs depending on model
- 11 Talica models available for line weights of 40 – 150 lbs braid.
- Line capacity ranges from 540 yards of 50 lb braid to 825 yards of 150 lb braid.
- 2 Speed retrieval
- MSRP $450 – $999
Shimano Tiagura Reel Features
- Cold forged aluminum construction for strength, lightweight and corrosion resistance
- 6 +1 A-RB bearings for reliability and smooth operation
- Lever drag for positive engagement and simplicity
- Maximum drag ranges from 33 lbs to 99 lbs depending on the model
- 10 models to choose from
- Large line capacities from 40/795 (lb test/yards) to a whopping 150/3315 for the Tl130A reel.
- MSRP $450 for the 12A and $1299 for the 130A
Penn International V/VI Fishing Reel Features
- Machined and anodized aluminum body and side plates for lightweight, strength and corrosion resistance.
- Stainless steel main and pinion gears provide smooth and reliable operation
- Quick-Shift II™ 2-speed system gets line back on the reel faster than most conventional reels
- Dura-Drag™ system provides heavy drag that won’t overheat or fail
- Versa-Strike Adjustable Strike stop
- Double-dog ratchet anti-reverse
- MSRP $649-99 – $899.99
Fin-Nor Santiago Fishing Reel Features
- 4 ceramic/hybrid ball bearings for reliable and smooth operation – these are the best bearing available.
- Fully machined one-piece aluminum frame provides the ultimate strength with minimal weight. Excellent corrosion resistance also.
- Forged aluminum spool is precision made and super strong with excellent corrosion resistance.
- Push-button and dial-release two-speed shift system
- High line capacities of 30/800 (lb test/yards) to 130/1600.
- MSRP $650.00 – $900.00
Fin-Nor Marguesa Conventional Reel Features
- Machines from 6061 aluminum for light weight, strength and corrosion resistance
- Machined Aluminum spool for light weight and corrosion resistance.
- Carbon Fiber drag system for reliability and heat resistance. Another component on a Fin-Nor reel that is corrosion resistant. Carbon fiber is stronger than steel and will not seize under long periods of maximum drag.
- Maximum drag on MAR30LD is 40 lbs.
- 5 ceramic ball bearings for ultimate reliability and smooth operation.
- Line capacities of 280 yards of 50 lbs test to 670 yards.
- MSRP $329.95 to $389.95