Most braided fishing line today is braided from UHMWPE which is Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene fibers. This material is unbelievably strong and durable. Braided fishing line many years ago was made from Dacron.
The best braided fishing line is a short list from charter boat captains, tournament anglers and sport fisherman. Here they are, in no certain order….
- KastKing SuperPower Braid
- PowerPro spectra Fiber Braid
- SpiderWire Braided Stealth
- Berekley Fireline Ultra 8
- Sufix 832 Advanced Superline
- Piscifun Onyx Braided Line
- Reaction Tackle High Performance Line
- Sougaylang Multifilament PE Superbraid
- Hercules PE Braided Line
- Daiwa J-Braid Line
- Daiwa Saltiga Braided Line
KastKing SuperPower Braid and PowerPro Spectra Fiber Braid line are very hard to beat. These 2 braided fishing lines are beyond the competition and are used by tournament Pro’s all over the world from Bass to Bluefin Tuna.
If you want the best braid fishing line, these 12 are the ones to fill your reels with. (You can buy them here…Shop Now at Amazon.com)
KastKing SuperPower Braid
- Strong Knot Strength – dynamically incorporated strands in KastKing SuperPower Braided Lines allow you to easily tie a more solid/strong knot. You can even tie an improved clinch knot. Knots are typically the week link in fishing. Lots of fish are lost to knots breaking. The improved Cinch Knot is one of the strongest. Fishing lines are only as good as the knot.
- The special proprietary treatment (without a waxy coating) allows the supple fishing line to zip through the guides to your target and gives you better lure swimming action. Less friction on the fishing rod guides means better and farther casts and less wear on the line and rod guides. Your rod and fishing line will last much longer.
- Low Memory – helps you achieve farther and more accurate casts with less chance of wind knots. Monofilament fishing line is well know for memory and can cause some serious tangles and wind knots. SuperPower braided fishing line has very low memory and will not tangle or get knotted by strong winds as easily.
- Greater Abrasion Resistance – KastKing braided fishing line decreases the chance of losing your “Big One”! When a big fish is on the hook and swimming like a train running down the mountain, the fishing line rubs against the rod guides with a lot of tension. This can not only abrade the fishing line but also the rod guides. Line friction can also increase drag which can cause a line break.
- Ultra-High Sensitivity and Zero Stretch – for superior hook setting abilities that will increase your catch ratio. You will be able to feel the bite and then be able to securely set the hook. The limited stretch in braided fishing lines makes it easier to set the hook. Monofilament lines are more stretchy.
- Smaller Diameter – allows you to spool more fishing line on to your reel. This is a HUGE plus for SuperPower lines. The more line you have, the more likely you will be able to land that huge trophy fish. Run out of fishing line and your fish is gone. You can add 40-60% more line on your reels with SuperPower.
PowerPro Spectra Fiber Braid
- Ultra-strong braided Spectra Fiber – strongest braid manufactured today
- Treated with Enhanced Body Technology for incredible roundness and sensitivity
- Ultra Small Diameters (0.005inch – 0.035inch)- this is the smallest diameter braided fishing line available. It allows you to put 40-60% more line on all of your fishing reels. More fishing line means you will be able to land bigger fish and loose less fish. When you run out of line on your reel, you will loose your fish.
- Varying Lengths (150 – 3,000 yards) – PowerPro comes in spools of 150 to 3,000 yards. No more special orders from the factory.
- Available in many colors – PowerPro is available in Moss Green (great for fresh water fishing), White, Vermilion Red, Hi-Vis Yellow, Marine Blue (ice fishing and open ocean), Timber Brown, Aqua Green and Multi-color
- Available in weights from 8 lb to 250 lb – from bass to bluefin tuna, there is a Powerpro fishing line for any scenario.
- Near Zero Stretch – when you set the hook there will be no elastic stretch which reduces the strike force. You get a solid strike and a hooked fish every time.
- Made in USA
PowerPro Depth Hunter Fishing Line
The Depth Hunter fishing line is specially colored in 25 foot segments to give you an idea of how far away your lure or bait is. Essentially it helps you measure the distance between you and your bait. The colored segments are Blue, Yellow, Green and Orange. These colors repeat every 100 feet. Ever wonder how far your last cast was? Now you can get a good idea, if not an exact distance. There is also a Black Tic mark every 5 feet for more precise measurements.
Depth Hunter fishing line is the exact same braided fishing line as all PowerPro lines are.
PowerPro Downrigger Fishing Line
Downrigger fishing line is designed especially for downrigging situations. It features sensitivity, strength, near zero stretch and silence. The dowrigger falls more vertical and with little blowback. it’s available in line weights of 150-250 lbs and in spools of 300 feet and 450 feet.
PowerPro Hollow Ace Fishing Line
Hollow Ace fishing line is a hollow core braided line with a 16 spectra fiber construction for ultra connection strength (knots), superior structure and durability. Hollow Ace can achieve near 100% line strength knots. Typical fishing line knots are only 60-70% as strong as the line test. An enhanced body technology process give this braided line superior line abrasion resistance and strength to diameter ratio. Hollow Ace is available in 6 weights, 40, 60, 80, 100, 130 and 200 lb test. You can choose from 3 colors; White, Hi-Vis Yellow and Marine Blue.
PowerPro Maxcuatro Fishing Line
Maxcuatro is a 4 strand construction braid using the newest Honeywell Spectra HT fiber. It’s much thinner but with the same strength as the standard PowerPro braided fishing line. This gives you the ability to spool more line on your reels. More line means you bring in more fish and bigger fish. If your reel runs out of line, you will loose the fish….it’s as simple as that.
PowerPro Super 8 Fishing Line
Super 8 is a 8 yarn Spectra fiber braid that is braided under high tension. This process gives the fishing line a tight and smooth surface. Super 8 has much less rod guide friction that other braided fishing line. Less friction means better casts and less line/guide wear.
Spiderwire Stealth-Braid Fishing LIne
Spiderwire is one of the very best brands of fishing line available. Their braided fishing line is exceptional. It’s braided from one of the strongest fibers known to man…Dyneema PE Microfiber. Stealth-Braid is extremely small in diameter but super strong. The smaller diameter braid allows you to spool more line on your fishing reel which means you will be able to land bigger fish. You never want to run out of line. It’s also treated with a Fluoropolymer which makes the line super slippery and abrasion resistant. Wear on the line and rod guides is reduced while cast distance is increased.
Many charter boats stock their fishing reels with Spiderwire braided fishing line. The reason is…it’s one of the best and will take abuse without breaking. Charter boats always buy the best fishing tackle…for the simple reason they don’t want tackle failures and unhappy clients.
Berkely Fireline Superline Braided Fishing Line
Fireline Superline is a different animal. It’s a thermally FUSED Dyneema Fiber braid. It has some of the excellent properties of a monofilament like castability and abrasion resistance but with the zero stretch and the superior strength of a braided line. Fireline was specifically designed for spinning reels where casting performance is essential.
Fireline Superline lets you feel strikes better than other fishing lines plus provides a solid strike when hooking a fish. The thin diameter allows more line on any reel and is silent and invisible in the water.
Sufix 832 Advanced Superline Fishing Line
Sufix 832 Superline is a super strong, durable and thin braided fishing line. It’s braided from 8 strands, 7 strands of HMPE fiber and 1 strand of GORE performance fiber. It is quite the advanced braid and performs extremely well in salt water and freshwater. This braid is very tightly wound at 32 weaves per inch. It’s abrasion resistant and casts like a bullet. You’ll think your using Mono when you throw a cast.
HMPE fibers enable fishing lines to have maximum strength with minimal diameter. The very small diameter will enable you to add 40-60% more line on any fishing reel. With more line on your reels, you can catch bigger fish.
The diameter of Sufix 832 ranges from 0.06 mm to 0.48 mm and line test from 6 ln to 99 lbs. There are 7 colors available. They include; Camo, Coastal Camo, Ghost, Hi-Vis Yellow, Lo-Vis Green, Multicolor and Neon Lime.
Piscifun ONYX Braided Fishing Line
Piscifun makes some really top notch fishing reels but also makes high performance braided fishing line. ONYX braided fishing line features high line strength and knot strength. It’s also very resistance to abrasion which will enhance casts and reduce wear on guides and the line itself. The 10-50 lb class lines feature a 4 strand braid while the 65-150 lb features an 8 strand braid. Like most braided lines, ONYX has a zero stretch which is fantastic for line sensitivity and strikes. You can easily feel a fish take the bait and then securely set the hook.
ONYX is available in 10-150 lb test with diameters of 0.10 mm to 0.70 mm.
Reaction Tackle Braided Fishing Line
Looking for high performance braided fishing line but don’t want to get gouged on the price?
…try Reaction Tackle braided fishing line.
It’s high quality, high performance…BUT low price and its made entirely in the USA.
Reaction Tackle braided fishing line is as good as any braid can get. It’s made from 4 strands of UHMWPE fiber. Some of the heavier braided lines are 8 strands. UHMWPE is the world’s strongest fiber. You get the same material as the big name brands but a much lower cost. Most spools start at $8-$10 while the competition is $15-$25 per spool.
Reaction Tackle braided fishing line is coated for durability and friction resistance. It will shoot through the rod guides like a bullet. You get longer and more accurate casts plus less line wear and less guide wear.
Reaction Tackle braided fishing lines is available in 9 colors which are Red, Multi-color, Diamond Blue, Gray, Green Camo, Fluorescent Orange, Fluorescent Yellow, Flourescent Green, Moss Green and Blue Camo. Line weights range from 10 lb to 100 lb.
Sougayilang Multifilament PE Superbraid
The name is difficult to say and spell but it really is excellent braided fishing line and cheap. It’s very similar to other braids in construction and features. Sougayilang is a 4 strand braid of PE fiber. It’s very strong, thin in diameter and abrasion resistant. All braided fishing lines have either zero stretch or near zero stretch. The PE Superbraid is available in line weights of 12-72 lb. The line diameter ranges from .0041″ to 0.0197″. It’s extremely thin. You can get it in 5 different colors; Black, Yellow, Green, Gray and Multicolor.
It’s a very cheap braided fishing line…
Price: 547 yards of 12 lb test $15.00
Hercules PE Braided Fishing Line
Hercules is yet another cheap braided fishing line with excellent qualities like the competition. It’s constructed from 8 strands of UHMWPE fiber instead of 4 like some of the competition. UHMWPE is the strongest fiber known to man. It’s also simply the best material for fishing line. It’s very thin and abrasion resistant like most braided fishing lines. The cost is around…$27 for 547 yards of 10 lb test.
There are 15 colors to choose from and in line weights of 10 lb to 300 lb. You can’t go wrong with Hercules. They offer you a 20% Refund on their fishing line, If you don’t think it’s a better value.
Daiwa J-Braid Braided Fishing Line
J-Braid is yet another top quality braided fishing line straight from Japan. There are several flavors of J-Braid including J-Braid x8 Grand, J-Braid x8 and J-Braid x4. They are either a 4 strand braid or 8 strand braid. 8 strands are typically softer and smoother (more abrasion resistant) than 4 strands.
J-Braid x8 Grand is the Premier Daiwa braided fishing line and utilizes Izanas fiber which is the latest “state of the art” material. It promises strength and more abrasion resistance than other braids. This really shines when casting long distance.
x8 Grand is available in line weights of 6 – 150 lb and multiple colors.
J-Braid x8 is a 8 strand braid and is most likely one of the best values in the the braided fishing line industry. You get top quality and high performance at a low price. It’s really hard to beat. A 10 lb 330 yard spool goes for around $20.
J-Braid x8 is available in 4 colors and line weights from 6 lb to 150 lb.
J-Braid x4 is a 4 strand braid that is strong, abrasion resistant and super small in diameter. If you want the maximum amount of fishing line on your fishing reels then get this 4 strand braid.
Here is a comparison between monofilament and this J-Braid x4 braided line.
80 lb Monofilament – 0.90 mm
80 lb J-Braid x4 – 0.42 mm
J-Braid x4 is 52% smaller than the equivalent weight monofilament. So this means you can double your line capacity by using J-Braid x4.
Daiwa Samurai Braided Fishing Line
Samurai braided line is an 8 strand braid and is strong, durable, soft and smooth. It’s a high quality, high performance braided line that will help you cast farther and reduce wear on your rod guides and the line itself. It’s woven from Polyethylene fiber similar to other braided lines.
Samurai line is super small in diameter. Here’s a comparison…
40 lb test monofilament – 0.024″
40 lb test Samurai Braid – 0.012″
Samurai braided line is 50% smaller in diameter, which means you can put twice as much fishing line on your reel as monofilament. This gives you a huge advantage when you hook into a record book fish. It means you’ll bring it to the boat instead of running out of line and losing the fish. If you currently have 300 yards of Mono on your fishing reel, you could have 600 yards of Samurai instead.